Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Quiet Moments

I have so much to write about and haven't had any time! Last night I was thinking about how much I enjoy having the horses at home. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of work. It's been even more work this summer as we have had a lot of projects to do outside; fencing to finish, arena installation, paddock work etc. With those projects out of the way next summer should be much easier!

But back to why I like it. I love the quiet moments with my horses. I notice this especially with Emi, as Roz tends to be a little less social. Emi loves to be scratched and will stand with me for a long time while I scratch her withers and neck. Our visits are so relaxing and the chance to connect with the horses on a different level than "work" is so nice.

Then you have moments like this morning. Someone dug a big hole in their paddock which I noticed after I fed breakfast. Both horses were eating and I was trying to figure out which one had been digging and why. I assumed it was Roz as he loves to roll and if he got fired up about something I could see him being a little crazy. After he finished his grain he started in on his hay...and started pawing. It's not unusual for him to paw a couple times to sort through the hay, but not over and over and over again. Then he left the food and moved to the back of their paddock, digging more holes and then kicking at his stomach. That's how he earned himself a trailer ride in to work (which happens to also be a veterinary hospital). I scurried around grabbing my stuff and hooking up the trailer before loading him up and giving them a heads up call.



They didn't find anything remarkable on his blood work, rectal, nasogastric tube or abdominal tap. They tubed him with fluids and electrolytes, and placed an IV for fluids. The re-introduced food this afternoon and as of 5pm he was still doing well. Hopefully nothing changes and he can come home tomorrow. I know he's not going to live forever but I'm also not ready to say goodbye.


Liam earned his keep today, being the perfect companion for the pony left behind.

9 comments:

  1. Just a little gas like Lance had the other week, huh? Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having them at home for the same reasons. You get so attuned to their 'normal' that when there's a change you notice right away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I hope Roz is back to feeling 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you caught it early and hopefully he is able to come home tomorrow! Like Teresa said, that's one of the best things about having them at home. You get so used to their habits that a little change can tip you off before it turns into something big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While my horses aren't "home", doing self-board is just as nice. It is a lot of work, but it also makes you more attuned to them and their mannerisms. I hope Roz is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really miss having my horse(s) at home and look forward to when I can do that again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scary, I'm so glad he's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How scary, hope he recovers quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!