Sunday, July 9, 2017

Showing Up

I'm way behind on posting and never finished my clinic recap, but I'm going to move on to the show I went to today. I don't think I have ever been less enthused about going to a show. I spent all day Saturday trying to decide if I even wanted to bother going and when the alarm went off at 5:30am I was still trying to convince myself to go. That's really odd for me! 

I may have also put in the worst horse show prep ever. I had the clinic on Saturday & Sunday, rode Emi on Tuesday with a new bit and flash attachment, then moved her to a friends house. She spent Wednesday/Thursday/Friday there and I moved her home on Saturday evening (after we got the fence back up). I got home with her around 6:30pm and had done nothing to prep for the show. Tack was dirty, the pony was dirty and I was not feeling it. I snuck in a quick ride in our new arena before hosing her off and heading inside to eat some dinner. I went back outside and started braiding her mane for the show and at this point it was after 9pm and I was losing light fast. I did about a third of her mane before bailing on that idea and just quickly braiding the rest so it would lay on the correct side. All that back story to say, I was feeling much less put together than normal. 

Once I convinced myself to get out of bed I got around pretty quickly this morning, cleaned Emi up, and hit the road. She was pretty vocal when I unloaded her, which confirmed my suspicion that she's coming in to heat. Oh joy! Our warm up went well but when we got into the ring for our first test Emi had some anxiety about it. We used our time before the bell, to scope out the judges table, and then I put her to work with some of our JW exercises. Although she was tense and a little distracted, our test had several good moments. We scored a 68% and first place! Highlights were a 9 on our free walk and an 8 on our geometry. JW had just challenged me to ride my corners better and I made a concentrated effort to do so in the ring.  




I had about 20 minutes before my next test. I stayed on but spent some time standing around, a small amount of warm up time, and then in we went. Emi was more settled but she also ran out of steam. I kicked her around and although we had some nice work it would have been much better if the pony had more go. This test scored a 65% for second place. 




It was worth "showing up."
I love the photos and how much development you can see in her. Now it's time to put to get back to work and move up to Training Level. 
SaveSave

8 comments:

  1. Tough scores and placings; you obviously reaped the results of not preparing enough! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Right? My horse was prepared for the work...I was just not prepared for the rest of it. :)

      Delete
  2. I thought you guys looked great! At least your horse didn't decide to go for a walk-about before your test :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I'm sorry your pony wasn't easy today. :(

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! It's good for her to learn that she still has to listen even when in heat. Carmen still believes that that is negotiable. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! Glad you still pushed thru and got results :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!