Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Good - Clinic Day 1

First of all, thank you all for your great feedback regarding our trailering drama and also the tongue issue. It's nice to know we aren't the only ones to struggle with things like that.

Despite the terrible loading issues our clinic ride on Saturday was quite good. Emi came to work and JW commented that she is looking very grown up. She also thinks she's growing, which I agree with. Not only has she lost weight fairly easily over this past month, she seems a bit unbalanced again.

If you remember from the last lesson, I was really struggling with the right bend. The right side has gotten way better and now the left side is our difficult side. We worked a lot on nose to the wall/haunches to the wall, baby shoulder in/out, steering (not drifting through the corners) etc.  I'm impressed with how grown up she's gotten in the trot work. For the most part she's very maneuverable and moves off your leg well. This is one of the places were I really notice a difference between her and other horses that I have had. Introducing those concepts to her at 3 has made a really big difference for us. I can already feel how we are adding on to her initial education and it's super cool! The canter work was fun and we started to really build on the shoulder in/shoulder out, capture her evenly on both reins and canter.

Emi had a few moments early on where she was worried about the horse in front of us leaving and so I put her in to a leg yield on the circle. She gave a couple of piaffe like steps which JW commented on. JW also said that she's "very on track for a four year old." That was music to my ears!  I feel like we work on our own a lot and it's up to me to recognize problems and address them. In some ways I feel very capable but sometimes you wonder if you are really on the right track.

My long term goal is to get my bronze medal on Emi but it would be super cool take her further than 3rd level. We shall see how things progress...we all know that horses take a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck.

I'll share video when I get a chance to upload it.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad that it went well. Emi is turning into a lovely pony thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...she's turning in to a lovely pony thanks to her too!

      Delete
  2. That's so nice to hear she's on track! I had completely forgot how young she was, but yeah, there were times when I was struggling with something on 5 year old Connor and his breeder would take one look at him and go "He's growing!". She has hawk-like eyes for that kind of thing, but I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that interesting? It's amazing how subtle the growing thing can be but it's real.

      Delete
  3. Ha yeah I forget what a baby she is since you've had her so long. :-) Glad you had a good clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good pony! I can't wait for my JW lesson next week. I need it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great clinic! It's been so cool to watch Emi grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's amazing how quickly that has happened.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!