I've decided I'm going to get a mustang in the next year or so. When Roz first died I had no interest in having a second horse. Now that we are a year out, I'm finally starting to feel ready for another one. There are many reasons for getting another horse, although life is definitely simpler (and cheaper) with only one. I know Emi would enjoy having a horsey companion that could be with her in the field during the day. Liam is a great companion (and isn't going anywhere) but he can't have the grass. I'm sure she'd also appreciate a grooming buddy, which she doesn't currently have either.
I'm scratching her back and she's scratching his
Over the past couple of years I've added "mustang" to my list of horses to own at some point and now seems like the right time. I'm not currently in a position where I want to spend a lot of money on another horse (in terms of purchase price) so I want to get something that will be relatively "cheap." I love window shopping at OTTB's but really haven't had the best of luck with them and worry about their long term soundness, so that's not a gamble I want to make. I've loved following along with some of the mustang makeover competitions, in particular Elisa Wallace. There's also Eugene and Levi from DIY Horse Ownership. In addition I've had the opportunity to camp in the Steens Mountain the past two summers, where we've watched the mustang herds that make their home there.
Mustangs in the Steens
BLM holding pens - Burns OR
BLM has a Trainer Incentive Program (TIP) where trainers take a mustang and have 90 days to gentle them. They have to lead, load, pick up their feet, and be able to be caught. The adopter still pays the $125 adoption fee but the trainer is paid $1000 by the Mustang Heritage Foundation. I've made contact with some one local to me, who has had a lot of success in mustang makeover type competitions. She's willing to let me adopt a TIP horse through her. Ideally I'd get a horse around this time next year, and would have the winter to hang out with it and get to know it (pony on trails from Emi etc.). Depending on it's age, I'm thinking I'd send it out to be started in the late winter or early spring of 2020 and then I'd have a second horse to ride. Of course, we all know that "the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray," so the plan is subject to change. It's exciting to consider the possibilities and I think it will be a fun experience.